Friday, December 18, 2015

Book Review: Phoenix Rising

Hello friends!
This week we are discussing the book Phoenix Rising by Karen Hesse. The first thing you should know is that this novel is not fantasy, which is what we were initially expecting based on the title. Rather, it is set in the modern day, with a realistic premise. The story is about a girl named Nyle and her grandmother, and how their lives are affected by an accident at a nearby nuclear power plant. 

Sarah's opinions: I found this book to be thought-provoking, but it was too depressing to be called enjoyable. Granted, this is not the measure by which books should be judged; I think I may have been in the wrong frame of mind to read it. In addition, I never really felt a strong attachment to any of the characters. However, there are things to be said in its favor: the writing was well done, and it was clear that the author had done her research. All in all, it was a decent read, and it brings an important issue to light.

Katie's opinions: I too felt that I never developed strong attachments to any of the characters. I'm not quite sure why I experienced this disconnect, because the events of the story definitely felt real. That said, I did end up liking the book, especially as it drew to a close. Though it was set amidst depressing circumstances, I think the overall tone was one of love, hope, and personal growth. Upon reading the inside cover, I discovered that Karen Hesse is also the author of a book I read several years ago called Letters from Rifka. I now plan to revisit it and see how it compares to Phoenix Rising.

Thanks to Alyssa for the recommendation! Have you read Phoenix Rising? Share your thoughts with us in the comments, and feel free to give us your recommendations for future book reviews!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention, guys. =) Sorry that the book wasn't up to par. Perhaps it's just my thing. ;P Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For whatever reason the book didn't click with us in the same way that it did with you, but that doesn't mean it's not good. Chock up the difference of opinion to personal taste, experience, or even just timing. But I liked it enough that I considered it worth reading, and your recommendation of a book will always carry weight with me. :)
      -Katie

      Delete