Wednesday, May 31, 2017

May Reads

Both of us did well with our reading goals this month. Not only did we read a lot more than we have in a long time, but we also enjoyed all the books that we chose.

Katie:
  • Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
  • Mockingbird by Katherine Erskine
  • Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol
  • A Pocket Full of Murder by RJ Anderson
  • A Little Taste of Poison by RJ Anderson
  • Orange volumes 1-5 by Ichigo Takano *
  • Arcadia by Tom Stoppard
  • 100 Cupboards by ND Wilson

* indicates multiple books listed as one entry

I read twelve books this month - all of which I enjoyed - so I'm on my way to getting back on track! I'd like to single out the manga series Orange, because I think it would be a great place to start for someone looking to try reading manga for the first time. It's only five volumes, so it's not a major commitment. The concept is interesting, and the characters endearing. Suwa is my personal favorite. I also want to mention the play Arcadia by Tom Stoppard, because it's the first play I read this year and I absolutely loved it. It's a bit difficult to follow, but totally worth the read.

Sarah:
  • Your Lie in April volumes 4-11 by Naoshi Arakawa *
  • The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander

* indicates multiple books listed as one entry

Your Lie in April is a beautiful manga, and I would definitely recommend it. The story is sweet and innocent, and suitable for a range of different age groups. The Book of Three is the first installment in a children's fantasy series that I read when I was younger. I picked it up again because I love to re-read old favorites. It is a lot of fun to look at the story in the light of my past self while simultaneously viewing it with fresh eyes. 

That wraps up the month of May! See you next week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment